The cedar was an important part of ancient culture. The Phoenicians used these trees for building ships and houses. The Sumerians believed cedar groves were the dwelling places of the gods, and burned cedar in their ceremonies. The cedar is mentioned in both the Bible and the Talmud.
- Origin: The Himalayas and countries around the Mediterranean
- Growth: The tree can be expected to grow to around 160 feet tall.
- Plant family: Pinaceae
- Scent: Woody, freshness, with hints of resin.
- Colour: Leaves are dark grey-green with transparent tips.
- Harvesting: Harvesting is done in the Spring and Autumn, and only 1/4 of a tree can be stripped at one time. Typically bark is harvested when the dogwoods bloom in May and June — when it's hot but not too hot.
- Endangered: Not endangered.
The cedar has been used for healing, purification and spiritual protection. Its spiritual properties are supposed to promote peaceful thoughts and help interpret messages from the inner self.
Cedar is often used to clear energies and provide spiritual protection. Cedar is a masculine vibration and connects us to work on our inner vibrational work. It is often used for rituals, spells, ceremonies and offerings. It can also be used as a smudge to remove negative energies or boiled in water to purify a space.
Cedar promotes peace, love and magical blessings. It is very relaxing whilst being burnt and makes one feel purified and cleansed with excellent high vibrations.
- Cedar is connected to the element of Fire and carries masculine energy
- Associated with the Zodiac Sign; Aquarius
Cedar has many wonderful attributes for medicinal purposes.
Cedar is commonly used in teas as an anti-inflammatory and can help with respiratory organs. It can help with bronchitis, pneumonia, and rheumatoid arthritis. If you have a cough or common cold symptoms it responds well to Cedar wood essential oil. With anti-spasmodic and expectorant qualities, diffusing Cedar wood in an oil burner or blending it with a carrier oil to create a chest rub can ease irritation and reduce coughing fits.Massaging your scalp with a mixture of Cedar wood oil with a carrier oil may also help reduce and soothe an itchy, flaking scalp. This may make it beneficial for treating dandruff and eczma around the scalp. Can be used for pain relief, inflammation, anxiety and stress relief in form of essential oil.