Blue sage is a member of the Mint family (Lamiaceae). “Salvia” is a name that means “healer,” referring to this ancient name for a sage with medicinal properties. The species name “azurea” is Latin for “sky blue.” Blue sage is a common name that refers to several different plant species. The name “sage” refers to this plant being traditionally used as medicine for pain. Blue sage is also known as Grandmother sage, as it is much more ancient that white sage. It has been used in many rituals and holistic medicine.
- Origin: Central and Eastern North America.
- Growth: Blue Sage takes about 1-2 years to reach its full height of up to 5 feet tall.
- Plant family: Lamiaceae (mint family)
- Scent: A fragrance that is both herbaceous and floral, similar to Lavender.
- Colour: Bright blue
- Harvesting: Blue Sage leaves can be harvested year-round, simply pluck or cut them from the plant when needed. They are best when harvested before the plant flowers when the essential oil content of the leaves is at the highest.
- Endangered: Not endangered.
Blue Sage is widely used for cleansing and purification purposes, it provides spiritual strength and sometimes it is also used during exorcism rituals as well to remove the malevolent spirits. A close relative of White Sage, Blue Sage is also good for healing and cleansing rituals for your energy field, objects, space and crystals. It has great aid in meditation, burn during your connection to enhance your spiritual experience.
If you are into manifestation and rituals, blue sage has a great vibration of abundance and success. Meditate with blue sage near by as it can allow to to tap into our intuition much easier.
- Sage is connected to the element; Air and carries masculine energy
- Associated with the Zodiac sign; Sagittarius
Sage has many wonderful attributes for medicinal purposes. Naturally sage is anti-bacterial you will find in many cleaning products sage is used. You can also create your own remedies with sage for anti-bacterial needs. Sage is a natural anti-septic and pesticide. White sage is often use for as a natural deodorant and allergy repellent; Allergens such as pet dander, pollution, dust and mould. This property of sage is said to improve the quality of air, which affects asthmatics and general allergies, room must be ventilated before entering.
When we are burning natural sage it releases stress from our bodies and aids relaxation for sleep.