Everything you need to know about Carnelian.
Carnelian is a member of the Iron Silicone Dioxide (SiO₂). Which has a hardness of 6.5-7 on the Mohs scale. Carnelian can range in colours from red, orange, brown and white.
Carnelian is a member of the Chalcedony group of gems, who in turn belong to the cryptocrystalline family of Quartz.
Although the gem has been discovered in Cornwall, England, as well as in France, the main sources of Carnelian are Japan, Brazil and Uruguay. India has some very old Carnelian mines still in operation, which tend to produce gems with a strong reddish-brown colour.
Luckily, it is normally possible to spot the difference even with an untrained eye;
- Natural Carnelian often has a few imperfections and a more cloudy appearance, whilst dyed Carnelian will normally show slight colour banding or stripes with cracks where dye is injected near-by
- Inclusions (materials trapped inside the stones as they form) or blemishes are a sign that a gemstone is real. If you don't see any inclusions or blemishes in the stone using a jeweller's loupe (a special magnifying lens), it's a good indication that the stone is glass or synthetic.
- Carnelian is a translucent stone if you want to check it, hold it up to the light and see if the light passes through the rock, at least at the edges.
- The authentic Carnelian has a dense structure; it should feel a bit heavy when you hold it (raw material)
- Carnelian can be identified as a mixture, it is often grown alongside quartz and agate. if you see white or banded carnelian, this does not mean it is fake or mislabelled, but it won't be pure carnelian.
- Often miss-sold as Sardonyx, which is cheaper than carnelian and often has an intensifying black colouration running through
- Carnelian can be one consistent colour with veins, depending on the origin and which direction of the map the carnelian has been mined it can show a slight difference in appearance due to local habitat.
- Fire agate is a type of carnelian it does conclude other minerals and formations.
Carnelian best combines with:
- Rose Quartz: If you want to boost fertility, Carnelian and Rose Quartz together is the perfect pair. Carnelian is a warm crystal that stimulates sexuality, while Rose Quartz encourages romance and passion. This makes it a perfect combination for couples who are trying to conceive.
Citrine: Citrine and Carnelian crystals work well together to enhance vitality and promote natural creative energies. Citrine, in particular, is a stone for success. The crystal's energy inspires positivity and joy, lifting your spirits into the clouds.
- Red Tiger Eye: Pair these two minerals together to practice grounding. These 2 crystals relieve all feelings of anxiety while drawing nurturing energy from the earth to help you feel calm and relaxed.
- Orange Calcite: If you need an energy boost, this is the pair for you. If you've been feeling unproductive, carry these 2 crystals with you to benefit from their energy throughout the day.
- Element: Fire
- Planet: Mars
- Zodiac Sign: Leo, Cancer, Taurus, Virgo
- Birthstone: July
- Chakras - Base Chakra, Sacral Chakra
Carnelian has been treasured throughout history and for centuries has been engraved, and cut into signet rings.
Derived from the Latin word meaning “fleshy,” because of its orange to reddish-orange colour, it is also referred to as Red Chalcedony or Red Agate due to the stunning red tints created from the presence of iron oxides.
Romans believed that the different colours of the stone represent the sexes; dark symbolises man, and light symbolises woman. When Carnelian grades into brown it is referred to as Sard. When it is a stronger white colour it is referred to as Sardonyx, and if the gem is extremely dark it can be called Jasper.
Carnelian is surrounded by myth and legend. It was believed by some that it stops bleeding and heals wounds. Egyptians thought that the gem had strong powers in the afterlife and would help to make people feel calm about death: in an excavation site uncovering the tomb of a Sumerian Queen from the third millennium BC, a robe has been discovered encrusted with the gem; presumably for this reason. They also believed that amulets of Carnelian could help the soul’s journey into the next life.
Carnelian restores vitality and motivation and stimulates creativity. It gives courage, promotes positive life choices, dispels apathy and motivates for success. If you are looking for energy to connect to you deeper to intuition, carnelian is the right vibration for you. It helps in trusting yourself and your perceptions. It overcomes negative conditioning and encourages steadfastness.
Carnelian encourages acceptance of the cycle of life and helps remove the fear of death. As an ancient stone, it was used to protect the dead on their journey to the afterlife. It gives courage and promotes positive life choices.
Known to improve analytic abilities and clarify perceptions. It sharpens concentration and dispels mental lethargy.
You can use a carnelian as protection. It deflects against envy, rage and resentment. Blocks distortion of energy by calms anger banishes emotional negativity and replacing it with a love for everything in life!
Carnelian boosts fertility and stimulates our sexuality, it is connected to our lower chakras whether you are male or female and gives us the boost of sex drive. You must work with carnelian individually and through partnership to understand what needs to be done for your journey. Carnelian is a healer for previous abuse, when this energy is locked within our lower chakras it can cause us psychic, physical, psychological and emotional dis-ease, which can connect to the back and reproductive pains and illness, depression and other organ complications. Carnelian replaces lower frequencies with love and healing vibrations, you can go on a deeper journey with carnelian through meditation to show you where and how to connect to the affected areas. It aids in menstrual and menopausal symptoms and may aid in vitro and artificial insemination.
Carnelian works for lower back problems, rheumatism, arthritis and neuralgia. It regulates the kidneys and accelerates healing in bones and ligaments. It improves vitamin and mineral absorption and ensures good blood supply to organs and tissues.
Also known as the Singers stone aiding performance and courage when an artist is about to perform on stage. It is also beneficial for those who are working in sales, athletics and journalism. It boosts our creativity and keeps us quick on our feet.
Carnelian alleviates feelings of jealousy, selfishness, egotism and possessiveness in relationships but first and foremost ensures that the programmes within ourselves have been released and healed from our emotional dimension. Carnelian is supportive energy that soothes feelings of anxiety, depression and stress, it focused on stabilising emotions and increasing motivation for changes and growth. Carnelian allows you to see the best potential you can receive out of life, by showing you different perspectives and aiding positive vibrations to make those choices you deserve.
If you are trying to break through frigidity, work with carnelian for your self-worth, courage, strength and self-love.
The capacity to concentrate may be boosted by Carnelian stone, reducing the mind’s temptation or daydream, this indicates our sacral and root chakra needs some neutering or grounding to mother earth, carnelian does have anchoring energy and can provide us with an alignment and grounded energy. It helps restore lost energy and motivation and stimulates imagination for new pursuits. It improves focus and removes unnecessary thoughts in daydreamers,
If you struggle with eating disorders work with a carnelian through an emotional level to detach and reprogram your mind. It banishes any negative influences external or internally and replaces these thoughts and frequencies with pure love.
We have two suppliers for our carnelian and carnelian agate. We buy from two family-run businesses located in South Africa and Brazil. Our suppliers based over in Africa head towards Madagascar for mining beautiful rich carnelian and carnelian with quartz. They bring the materials back to their warehouse for polishing and production, they work with local miners to support families and communities. over 20 years of industry experience to train and provide the best service to working miners and retailers. They give back to the environment and make sure trees and plants are replenished around the mining facilities.
Our supplier over in brazil travels to the South and North to extract Carnelian agate and Fire agate, with a geologist within the family-run business they ensure that mother earth and natural habitats are safe from any destruction and safe for the miners to carry out the work. None of our suppliers works with children under age. It is illegal in most countries now to mine with children, the businesses we work with comply and are registered under the Ethical sourcing conduct.