Everything you need to know about Blue Lapis Lazuli.
Blue lapis lazuli is a member of the precious stone group. Lapis is a blue feldspathoid silicate mineral. (Na, Ca)8(AlSiO4)6(S, SO4,Cl). With a hardness of 5.5 on the Mohs scale. Lapis depends on quality it can range from white (calcite), sodalite (blue) ranging from pale- royal pigments. It has many combinations of minerals including pyrite which often shows as smaller specs or strokes through the stone. It highly contains Lazurite which can also be purchased alone.
Lapis lazuli usually occurs in crystalline marble and is a part of a few mineral families such a Feldspar and quartz.
Important amounts are also produced from mines west of Russia, in the Andes mountains in Chile. Smaller quantities are mined in Pakistan, Italy, Mongolia, the United States and Canada.
It is very common for Lapis Lazuli to be dyed or heat treated. this is because the more royal the blue and intensifying pyrite shown means it can be sold at a much more premium price. Here are some ways to spot dyed or fake Lapis.
- The GIA confirmed that when lapis has been heating treated under Red light, it provides a much more even surface to the royal pigment, when studying closely it shows a colouration of green-indigo in most specimens.
- Colouring for the disguising of white calcite inclusions is also done. Localisation of the colour in cracks can usually be seen, and a cotton swab soaked in acetone or nail polish remover usually reveals the dye.
- It is common for suppliers to purchase cheaper materials such as Howlite and Jasper to dye and treat the stone to mimic the appearance of true Lapis, use the hardness test as Jasper is a 7. Howlite is a 3.5 and Lapis should be exactly 5.5.
- Miss-sold as Sodalite, although lapis contains sodalite, sodalite does not have streaks or specks of Pyrite. Sodalite is white, blue and black. Lapis does not contain any black.
Carnelian best combines with:
- Emerald: If you want to truly understand your partnership with your beloved, work these two crystals together to open your hearts to authenticity and compassion. Loyalty and communication are important to attribute to keep within a relationship, work with emerald and lapis to amplify these intentions and energies between your bond.
- Onyx: Provides emotional healing and calm to the wearer. Both energies hold protective attributes and would be an excellent combination to protect empaths and emotional wounds.
- Opal: Can help you in manifesting your desires through hard work, positive affirmations, as well as dedication. Opal, on the other hand, is believed to strengthen your survival instinct and brings success to both business and financial situations
- Moldavite: If you are looking for those cosmic connections to work with Moldavite and lapis together, it holds advancement for spiritual development and connecting you to higher sources whilst keeping your soul and energy field safe from darker energies. We would only recommend this combination if you are experienced with your spiritual practices.
- Element: Air
- Planet: Venus
- Zodiac Sign: Libra
- Birthstone: December
- Chakras: Throat, third eye and crown chakra
Lapis lazuli stone meaning came from the Latin word Lapis means stone and from the Persian word Lazhward meaning blue. Lapis Lazuli was mined in the Sar-i Sang mines in Shortugai and found in Bhirrana, which is the oldest site of Indus Valley Civilisation dated to 7570 BCE and being valued from that time by the community. This stone was declared one of the oldest opaque gemstones in history which are more than 6,500 years. Some bible scholars believe lapis lazuli spiritual meaning has its reference from the Old Testament to "sapphire" which indicate lapis lazuli.
It was used as the finest art through the ages especially when it was used in ancient Egypt, beloved by the Babylonians, Minoans, Chinese, Greeks, and up to the Romans. It was historically used in the death mask of King Tutankhamen, where they inlaid it with turquoise and carnelian in bright gold. It was also being played as cosmetics of Cleopatra and was a subject from a well-known writer Marco Polo way back in 1271. Michelangelo grounds up lapis lazuli to create blue paint called ultramarine that brings colour and brings the robes of Mary of Nazareth painted on church walls.
The Egyptians believed it offered protection and was a symbol of truth, a sacred stone that could cure headaches and insomnia. Lapis lazuli was often used for amulets, pendants and ornaments such as scarabs. It was among the first gemstones to be used in jewellery and was often worn by royalty
This semi-precious stone is so popular over the centuries because of its mystical appearance and by its compelling energies. It is commonly used by faith healers because they considered lapis lazuli meaning has a deeper purpose over the centuries. They proved its calming influence that reveals the truth and empowers your senses.
Blue lapis lazuli holds strong protective energies which deflect psychic attacks and dark entities. It has the power to transmute darkness into light and works spiritually on a dimensional level. If you are looking to take your journey to the next level, lapis is an excellent 'eye-opener' for your third eye chakra, crown and throat. It works with higher beings and connects you to your soul family. To work in the higher planes it is important to connect to your heart space and work within that frequency. Work with lapis lazuli to connect you to your heart space. It amplifies unconditional love and brings your emotional wounds to light. Lapis indicates that the more we clear we can connect and channel higher beings, to be able to attract abundant frequencies to enjoy the journey of our life on earth. It is a good luck charm, manifestor, abundance of energy and prosperity.
Work with lapis through tools, meditation and journeying to heal past lives, trauma and disconnect you from negative programmes. You can enhance your psychic visions, abilities and gifts with lapis, wear or work with your piece frequently to reveal the possibilities to fruition.
If you are connected to the astral plane, lucid dreaming or remote viewing. Lapis will keep you safe and protected whilst you are having out of body experiences. It is advised to truly connect to your Lapis to experience the full potential it holds.
If you want to activate the full potential for Lapis lazuli's physical attributes you must work with this dimensionally. It can support your body with any dis-ease or misalignment. To do so, connect with lapis lazuli and ask your piece to show you the dis-ease on a spiritual, emotional and physical level. It may even take you to previous traumas or lifetimes that need to be healed first.
You can work with lapis as a spiritual tool for psychic surgery, connect with lapis to work on your light body, aura and physical body to begin the healing.
Place Lapis Lazuli under your pillow if you are struggling with night terrors, insomnia or badly patterned sleep.
The same strategy can be used with emotional healing, connecting to the energies through the dimensional planes. However, it does work with our emotional state through perspective. If we are struggling with our body image, anxieties or depression; Lapis is very soothing, calming and healing. It works on us through ridding negative patterns, behaviours and influences. Lapis will bring to light the healing required.
Lapis Lazuli teaches us compassion and to be kind. It brings us self awareness and to be cautious of other peoples agendas. It holds strength for you to be able to take control of your own life. If you are struggling with communicating, it is wise to wear lapis around your throat chakra to reveal blockages and healing required to allow you to project your voice.
Due to the crisis in Afghanistan, it has been very difficult to source and extracts deep blue quality, ethically. Within the last 2 years, we have been blessed to find our newest supplier who can travel globally. Our newest batch of tumble stones and rough material is mined from Tascadero River; Ovalle, Chile but only in the summer months for safety reasons connected to the artisanal miners. They head over to this country to work with the local dealers and visit the mining sites to ensure ethical sourcing is being met in compliance with the Ethical sourcing conduct. The lapis is much brighter in colour and often show patches of white calcite and specs of pyrite. Some pieces have been recorded that it is possible for the higher quality to almost match Afghanistan material.
Although our supplier has held tons worth of Afghanistan Lapis quality over the last 25-30 years, they are only releasing this material for more special and premium pieces with the caution of long-lasting. The prices are much more expensive as this would be the last of the Afghanistan material until safer conditions can be announced. All material that is being used or imported will be carved, polished and supplied with in-house lapidary services. None of our suppliers or miners works with underage children as it is an illegal practice in the majority of countries today.